gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Relocatable code and EXTERN

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Relocatable code and EXTERN
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 1 Jan 2006 23:55:25 +0000

John De Villiers wrote:

>Is it possible to declare and EQU as external ?

No.  Only addresses can have relocations.  Not equates.

>I want to have the var EQU value defined in another file. It should then
>only get resolved at link time. Is this possible ?

Typically I have an include file that defines all the external symbols
in the library.  Any constants are included in that file.  Kind of like
a header file for a library.

>It seems not. Any ideas how to do it?

There are gpasm directives to manually add a symbol to the table.  You
can use them to do anything you want, but you will likely break something.

>In the code that i have i want to add a literal to a value in a routine
>that will become part of a library. I dont want to have to change the
>library for every project, nor make copies of it all the time. The
>literal contains the amount of defined strings ( screen.asm in the lcd
>samples of gpsim - WS_TABLE_MASK)

I am not familiar with the code.  Can you use NULL terminated strings or
add the string length to the start of the strings?