gnupic: CUMP a very good idea

Subject: Re: CUMP a very good idea
From: Alessandro Zummo ####@####.####
Date: 14 Nov 2001 08:30:49 -0000

>> Ps : excuse my poor "french" english
>>
> Hi,
> I am currently interested in debugger/ICD for 16F8xx PICs that will work
> under linux. Reading this exchange I got started to think that it would be
> usefull to make a universal programmer/debugger. One possible architecture
> can be : 1. Software layer on host computer: general interface, GUI 2.
> Drivers for specific chips 3. Hardware: 16F8xx, probably 16F877, to enable
> both serial and parallel programming.

i'm very happy that someone wants to work to this project...
here are some advices of mine:

 1) Keep It Simple Stupid or you'll get annoyed looog before seeing any
 piece of hardware/software working.

 2) Do It Modular: you should be able to use the software on different
programmers. Maybe  you can start with the PicStart+ which is
 easyli available and works quite fine.

 3) Use The Layer, Luke: Since the epoch, layer structures have been
 used everywhere (think about ISO/OSI for example).
 You could have a layer which flips the pins on and of but knows
 nothing about the protocol, another which knows how to program a PIC
 in serial mode, and another one who knows, generically, how to program
 a microcontroller.

 4) Write Down The Specs: Before doing everything else, the spec
 must be written on paper, discussed , approved, modified, etc.
 With a good bunch of specs every single programmer can
 work on it's piece of code coherently with the work the others
 are doing.

 5) CVS: You can use sourceforge or i can provide CVS and web
 space for the project.

--

  - alex.