nanogui: make microwin api : client/server

Subject: RE: make microwin api : client/server
From: "Rob Taylor" ####@####.####
Date: 25 Apr 2000 09:32:26 -0000

> Write the Client side stuff as just sharedmemory page manipulation,
> and the Microwin server would just pull up changes from that.  Could
> anyone confirm as to whether X works like this when run "locally"?
> That's what I thought, but could be totally wrong.  Oh, yes and when
> not in local mode it would function through some sort of network
> interface thingee.

well, depends what sort of shared memory usage tyou mean... some X servers
support shared memoey usage  in the sens that the client can buffer a whole
load of X evemnts/requests in a shared memory area and only XSync/Xflush
cause an actual pipe tansaction, which signals the Xserver to pull
everything off the shared area and execute it.
(note: I don't think XFree86 can do this, but i belive HP's can.)

Anyway I think, although this is better than normal pipe transactions, I
don't think it's the best option: you still need to marshal/unmarshal
argumnets, which sucks.  My suggestion is that the client actually does it's
own drawing to the framebuffer, and the server processes simply deals with
telling the client what screen regions it has use of (window
management)(obviously with the relevent information stored in a shared
memory buffer) and top-level event routing.

What do people think?

Rob