nanogui: Access control

Subject: Re: Access control
From: Alex Holden ####@####.####
Date: 14 Dec 2000 01:47:45 -0000

On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, Jordan Crouse wrote:
> I believe that most PDA implentations will continue to use a local
> server (at least until a good wireless solution gets better - I don't

It would be nice to be able to run a graphical monitoring program on
a headless embedded processor sat in the middle of a production line
somewhere from the comfort of your desk though...

Actually the thing that spurred me to get around to solving the
authentication problem was a review I read a couple of days ago comparing
X to Nano-X, which listed the main advantage of X as being that it was
network capable. I could have given Nano-X TCP/IP networking right at the
beginning when I first wrote the client/server code, but I decided against
it at the time because of the difficulty of providing a secure
authentication (and I don't consider X's XAddHost() stuff secure) without
increasing the code size beyond all recognition (if done wrong, you could
easily more than double the size of the server). The code to use a TCP/IP
instead of a Unix domain socket itself is trivial.

--
------- Alex Holden -------
http://www.linuxhacker.org/