nanogui: xpm display on mono pda

Subject: Re: xpm display on mono pda
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 19 Dec 2000 15:17:37 -0000

yi yang wrote:

> Hi all,
>         I'm working on a NEC vr4181 , mono LCD.
>         When I port a small flnx program to it, I find that
> the xpm display is very slow, the image size is
> 120x120, and I waited about 1 minute to see it be on
> the screen.
>         Can you do something to speed display image up?

Yep, it is a bit slow, depending on your system and your processor
speed.  One thing you can to to speed it up
is to use the XPM renderer in Microwindows instead of FLNX, which will
cut down on some of the time it takes to
draw.   Probably a good chunk of the time is spent reading the file and
processing the colors (which is a pain in
the rear).  Microwindows helps by pre-loading the image, so you can
process it once, and display it many times.
I think the FLNX version processes each image individually, so thats
where the speed comes from.  Take a look at the
pixmap code in FLNX and see if you can't convert over to the standard
GrLoadImageFromFile and GrDrawImageToFit calls in Nano-X.

>         If I want to do something special to nano-x mono
> display, which file should I look for?

It depends on what you want to do.  Pick an area to concentrate on, and
we'll be more specific.

>         BTW, I think there are too few documents about the
> source code.

Nano-X?  Yes, we are lacking in documentation.  FLNX?  Go to
www.fltk.org for a full API list and documentation.

> Best reguards,
> Yi,yang

Happy holidays,