nanogui: Help to install Opera or Mozilla WebBrowser with Microwindow

Subject: Re: [nanogui] Help to install Opera or Mozilla WebBrowser with Microwindow
From: Jordan Crouse ####@####.####
Date: 28 Jun 2001 15:52:16 -0000

On Thursday 28 June 2001 09:32, Gary James mentioned:
> > On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Mikhail Ivanov wrote:
> > > Yes, as they say it on nxzilla.tuxia.org:
> > > "NXZILLA (formerly nanozilla) is a set of libraries that allow Mozilla
> > > to be used with a NanoX server." It's open source, it should not cost
> > > you anything to use it.
> >
> > They can charge as much as they want for a supported version as long as
> > they also make the source code available for free.
>
> Are you sure about that? I don't think that there are any licences
> involved that require the source remain open. Microwindows is not
> under the protection of the GPL, neither is Mozilla (although I'm not
> too familar with the Mozilla liscnese).

That is correct.  The MPL is very different from the GPL.  Here is the
defining factor of the MPL (check it out at
http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/MPL-1.1.html)

"The Initial Developer hereby grants You a world-wide, royalty-free,
non-exclusive license, subject to third party intellectual property claims::"

And further on:

"Subject to third party intellectual property claims, each Contributor hereby
grants You a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license:"

The *only* requirements are that you

A) - Don't change the copyright information (it all remains the property of
the original writer/contributor)

and

B) - If you modify the code and distribute the package you must also make
available the source code.  But this is fullfilled if I give you a CD for a
millon dollars with the binary and the source.  There is no requirement that
you provide your modifications openly, just as long as you distribute them
with the binary.  I believe thats what Tuxia is doing.

Jordan