gnupic: Re: [gnupic] Beginner

Subject: Re: [gnupic] Beginner
From: Gibaud Alain ####@####.####
Date: 14 Mar 2006 10:46:12 +0000

Le Dimanche 12 Mars 2006 12:27, Xiaofan Chen a écrit :
> On 3/9/06, Gibaud Alain ####@####.#### wrote:
> > Pikdev 0.9 also support transparently pk2 programmer as external
> > programming engine, (so you can use Microchip's picKit 2 programmer)
> > but a home made programmer is really cheaper and allows to program
> > more chips than picKit2.
> >
> > pikdev 0.9 will be available in a few days.
>
> It is nice to hear that pikdev will soon support PICkit 2. Do you mean that
> it will use pk2 (by Jeff Post) code base to support PICkit 2? Or  will you
> use piklab (by Nicolas Hadacek) code base for PICkit2 support?
>
> Regards,
> Xiaofan

As I wrote, I use pk2 from Jeff Post. It contains all the support I need
and works pretty well for the tests I have performed.
I consider not useful to copy code from another software and prefer to work
with original author: it is more efficient because he have a better knowledge
of potential problems, and from a moral point of view, this is of course more
satisfactory.
PiKdev have now a clear framework to support external programming engines
(programming software authors who wish to have their software supported by
pikdev are invited to contact me).

piklab is a fork of pikdev (a mix of pikdev, lplab and original code).
Hadaceck has never inform me to his intentions to fork pikdev,
and has never
proposed any improvement for it. It just email me one year and half ago
to propose to open a sourceforge repository.
When a guy you don't know and WHO DO NOT PROPOSE ANYTHING and HAS
NEVER BRING ANY CONTRIBUTION TO YOUR PROGRAM offers you
such a thing, you ask yourself many questions before acceptation. This is why
I didn't open this repository (but I never refused to do it !) : I just wanted
to know more.

At the end of 2005, I discovered piklab. This program is a waste of energy
because it duplicates many functionnality of pikdev. This energy would have
been better used to improve pikdev (It was obviously possible to begin this
work without sourceforge  repository, as many pikdev contributors have
proven).

But apparently,  piklab's "author" motivations are to be the main author of
something, not a "simple" contributor. I am honoured to have been
forked by a person who has already cloned such famous software like Tetris
(ksirtet) or mines (kmines).

Well,
I tried piklab 0.2 : not finished
then version 0.3, it didn't compile on my machine, I stopped with it
then version 0.4 arrived, with many new features: it didn't compile again
but I fixed a minor problem in source code and tried it.
Five minutes and 3 segfaults later, I stopped experiments but
perhaps everything work better in the new version (0.5)

I suppose it is now clear for everybody why I don't wish to use
any line of code from piklab.

Alain