gnupic: Re: [gnupic] ready to start

Subject: Re: [gnupic] ready to start
From: Gibaud Alain ####@####.####
Date: 23 Mar 2006 09:17:15 +0000

Le Jeudi 23 Mars 2006 06:23, Maxim Wexler a écrit :
> Hi group,
>
> I finally got my box(500MHz K6-2) setup with gentoo(2.6.15) and ready to
> start programming pic chips w/ gnupic. No X, no gui as yet. Just ncurses.
> Hope that's enough. I live at the end of a very long phone line and
> downloading big files  takes _days_
>
> These are the micro progs available in the portage system:
>
> heathen@sarawak ~ $ ls /usr/portage/dev-embedded
> avarice      gezel       gpsim-lcd    jtag            picprog   tavrasm
> avr-libc     gnap        gpsim-led    libftdi         picptk    tigcc
> avra         gnap-dev    gpsim-logic  metadata.xml    pikdev    uisp
> avrdude      gnap-ext    gputils      parapin         pista     upslug2
> bitbake      gnusim8085  icdprog      parapin-driver  ponyprog  xgpasm
> dc-tool-ip   gpio        include      picasm          sdcc      yapide
> ftdi_eeprom  gpsim       jal          picp            sdcc-cvs
>
> I've got three chips at my disposal:
>
> 16F874, 16F876, 16LF87. Which I more or less chose at random from Digi-Key
> trusting in the versatility of the technology and frankly not having a
> clue.
>
> As a first project I'd like to make a signal generator to hack audio stuff.
> Basically just a device that emits tones at various audio frequencies.
>
> What's the best program(s) to use. Will a home built programmer suit or
> should I order one ready made. What's a good one? Are there advantages to
> using a parallel port or a serial port programmer?

Both are very unexpensive to build. You can typically build them for 4 Euros
(or less) and they work fine. A commercial product is easily 10 times this
price.
Several proven schematics are available at http://pikdev.free.fr but many
other are available on the Web.
I prefer parallel programmers because they are not dependant on
electrical characteristics of serial ports (some of them doesn't deliver
enough voltage).

Finally,  PiKdev is a KDE-based (graphic) tool so you will not be able to use
it. Hopefully, PiKdev source code also includes a text only programming
software (named pkp) which can be compiled without any graphic environment.
pkp can be used in interactive or command line mode and uses
the PiKdev programming engine.
(see pikdev home page for details).

Alain