gnupic: MPLAB X IDE beta under Linux and Mac OS X

Subject: Re: MPLAB X IDE beta under Linux and Mac OS X
From: Xiaofan Chen ####@####.####
Date: 18 Oct 2010 06:34:46 -0000

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Tamas Rudnai ####@####.#### wrote:
> I have installed it on my Mac, have not got enough time to try it on Linux.
>
> The installer feels alien on the Mac, seems like a Windows app on a Mac with
> that "Next-Next-Next" style installer instead of the "drag-and-drop" style
> one. It is also a bit slowish, I guess because it was written in Java
> instead of native code?

Yes it is based on Netbean, which is the 2nd most popular IDE after
Eclipse. Microchip seems to like to use the 2nd best solution ;-)
I mean they choose to use MIPS M4k core for PIC32 and not ARM
Cortex M3 which IMHO is a mistake...

As for the speed, it is actually not bad based on my limited testing
under Windows.

> Other than these, it looks impressive and is more like a modern development
> software so I am liking it. I have not yet tried all functionality, just
> played with it for couple of minutes to be honest, but so far what I have
> tried seemed to be ok.

I tend to like it as well based on my limited testing. Of course it is
only a beta and not feature complete yet.

--
Xiaofan