plustek: Percent of a CPU necessary to poll parallel port.

Subject: Re: Percent of a CPU necessary to poll parallel port.
From: ####@####.####
Date: 26 Aug 2000 23:41:29 -0000

Steve Nordquist wrote:

> I have a 9636T I'm considering hooking up (and helping out
> w/ the driver) but only a 200 Pentium*BogoMip system.
>
> Will that be adequate at all?
>
> Secondly, the motherboard does not have a buffered
> EPP subsystem on it, just plain EPP capability; are
> buffers common on newer (AMD Thunderbird) motherboards?
> Perhaps there are devices (EPP to USB gateways or kits)
> which can help.  Have you heard of any?

I have tested my 9636T with about 5 different computers, including
a laptop with a 133 MHz pentium. The parallel port on that only
has ECP (with bi-driectional mode), bi-directional, and SPP. It
works on all modes ( as either bi-directional or SPP) but the
speed varies. I use a test scan of part of a color photograph
(total file size ~9MB). It takes 30 sec with an EPP port (CPU
speed is not really relevant unless the computer is doing a lot of
other tasks at the same time) and 1 min 8 sec on the slow laptop.
I am also working on trying to get a usb-to-parallel adapter to
work; the plustek driver code has to be rewritten quite a bit for
this to happen. I am talking to Gerhard about this.

	Kevin