gnupic: Adapters (slightly off-topic)

Subject: Adapters (slightly off-topic)
From: Tim ODriscoll ####@####.####
Date: 9 Feb 2002 12:32:45 -0000

Hi everyone,

Apologies for the off-topic nature of this one..

I'm just starting out in the exciting world of pic's, and after much
deliberation I've decided to go with the JDM serial port programmer
(mainly because it doesn't need an external power supply).

The trouble I'm having (that numerous Google searches don't help) is that
the transistor in the circuit is a BC547B, with a body type of TO92c. I've
discovered that this body type has pins called Gate, Source and Drain.

When I was at school, the pins were Base, Collector and Emitter, and you
could tell where to solder them in by the circuit diagram where the
arrow was the emitter, and the base was the one that looked like it
was controlling it (cue dodgy ascii-art):

     /
    /
B --
    \
     \|
     - E

So, in the picture above, is the Base where the Gate should be, the
Emitter where the Drain should be, and the Collector where the Source
should be?

I've tried several combinations, none of which work, so I think there
could be a wiring problem somewhere else. Trouble is that I'd like to
eliminate this problem before I move onto the next.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim