gnupic: plotting signals in gpsim

Subject: Re: plotting signals in gpsim
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 10 Feb 2002 14:52:53 -0000

On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Ralf Forsberg wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 04:41:52PM -0400, Garst R. Reese wrote:
> > Ralf Forsberg wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone know of a program allowing you to plot realtime data, and
> > > supporting both digital and analog data.
> > >
> > Have you looked at Grace?
> > http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/
>
> No I hadn't. It looks good. It even has a C-library for interfacing with
> it. But I wonder if there is a way to somehow use it in 'tail' mode. I'll
> look at this next week.

I'll also add two more:

gtkwave:

http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/amulet/tools/gtkwave/

and gwave:

http://www.telltronics.org/software/gwave/

Andrew Bardsley has recently resurrected gtkwave. I'm not sure what his
ultimate plans are though. Stephen Tell has recently added some new
features to gwave which I haven't had a chance to evaluate yet.

Both gtkwave and gwave are post-mortem waveform viewers. gtkwave
specializes on digital waveforms (e.g. verilog simulations) where as gwave
specializes on analog (e.g.  spice simulations). An ideal waveform viewer
would support both. I suppose one could argue that the digital outputs
could be converted to the spice raw format and viewed, but much of the
efficiency of viewing digital waves would be lost.

Another serious problem with these viewers from gpsim's perspective, is
that they don't interact with the simulation. They can only show the
results of a simulation. In my opinion, what we really want is an
"oscilloscope" module. And in particular, we want something like HP's
mixed signal oscilloscopes. If anyone has used HP (or Agilent now) MSO's
they'll know what I mean. Essentially, a viewer that displays analog and
digital waves as the simulation is running would be ideal!

Scott