gnupic: plotting signals in gpsim

Subject: Re: plotting signals in gpsim
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 12 Feb 2002 14:18:31 -0000

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Ralf Forsberg wrote:

> > 1) The viewer and gpsim should be as separated as possible. I'd even be
> > inclined to make it module. If the viewer is a module, then we can write a
> > few C++ classes to link into the file_register class and get efficient
> > access to the registers much like the profiler and break point classes
> > already do.
>
> Yes, this 'short' list, if/when implemented should really be separate,
> if not a standalone app. Or merged with one of the other apps...

In the usart module, there's a class called BoolEventLogger. This may be
useful for storing the digital data (0/1's).

There's a member function called "dump_ASCII_art" that illustrates how the
event data is extracted from the buffer and "plotted". It also has the
feature of showing the number of edges that have transitioned between each
"pixel" (a pixel in this case is a single ASCII character; if there are 2
to 9 transitions in one pixel then the digit 2 to 9 is displayed. If there
are 10 or more then an '*' is displayed.). Another feature of the
BoolEventLogger is the efficient binary search member function that can
find an event given the time.

----
I agree with your approach so far. Understanding the mechanics of gtkplot
is really important.

Scott