gnupic: gpsim 20.14 compile problem

Subject: Re: gpsim 20.14 compile problem
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 17 Feb 2002 23:51:53 -0000

On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Gordon Macdonald wrote:

> Hi
> I've read the threads regarding compile problems and Ralf F has been very
> generous in trying to help a newbie but I thought this might apply to some
> others reading the list so here goes. I have 20.14 on Mandrake 8.1 with
> Readline 4.2.
> When I run ./configure I get "checking Readline 2 or newer .. no, exists but
> too old." which results in a series of functions not defined when I run
> make.
> Could any of the Mandy users of gpsim who have it working let me know if
> they used any tricks or tips please?
> All hints, directions etc gratefully received and acknowledged.
> Cheers
> Gordon

On a Mandrake system you should be able to install the .rpm by force. I
really hate to recommend this, but you can do this:

rpm -i --nodeps gpsim-0.20.14.*rpm

The other thing you can try is to change cli/input.cc. Around line 30 or
so there is:

//#define RALF
#define SCOTT

Change it to:

#define RALF
//#define SCOTT

And try compiling.

I've made up my mind: readline is history. I'm tired of it. In 0.20.16 I'm
going to replace it with command line interface that is in ncftp. This
will be totally self contained in gpsim. However, this change will not
occur until after I've completed the latest round of changes of SDCC. I
estimate that mid to late April readline and gpsim will be happily
divorced.

Scott