gnupic: SDCC status

Subject: SDCC Status
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2002 15:37:04 -0000

It's been a while since I posted anything about the status of the PIC port
of SDCC. But that shouldn't be misconstrued as no work being performed.
Over the last couple of weeks I've been working on a "real life" C program
and trying to get it to compile under SDCC:

http://www.bobblick.com/techref/projects/lcdterm/lcdterm.html

This is Bob Blick's LCD C program for driving LCD's. I figured that since
gpsim has an LCD module, then this would be a good example to try to get
working with SDCC. Here's a screen shot of Bob's program compiled with
SDCC and simulated with gpsim:

http://www.dattalo.com/bblick_lcd.jpg

I did have to modify his program slightly to accommodate the differences
in the way Hitech and SDCC declare bits. I also had to strip out the RS232
and keyboard code. But the underlying LCD stuff was untouched.

Before starting this I thought SDCC was almost ready. However, there were
numerous detail bugs that had to be fixed. And I might add, there are
still numerous bugs... There are also still some fundamental design issues
to be resolved as well (e.g. interrupts are not yet supported).

I'm still plugging away and I think that a March Beta release of the PIC
Port of SDCC is still feasible (It just may be midnight PST March 31 :).

Scott