gnupic: Rep:Re: Rep:Re: picprg

Subject: Re: Rep:Re: Rep:Re: picprg
From: ####@####.#### (Byron A Jeff)
Date: 21 Mar 2002 15:14:04 -0000

> There are now two versions which were born from
> original picprg from Brian Lane. Byron made one and
> the other is which I modified.
> I only want to join the two versions into one. AFAIK
> the only main difference is the number of processors
> supported by each one.
> That's shouldn't be a difficult task. I have read
> that BAJ's picprg support 16F84, 16F87x, and 16F62x.
> Anyone missing?
> My version support 16F84, 16F876 (I have not tested
> with others, but I think it should work with 16F87x,
> because the programming algorithm is the same). So I
> should add support for 16F62x and we will have the
> same funcionality which both versions.

The same programming algorithm that you already have should work for the
16F62X parts. The only issue is the addresses. The original PICPRG only
programmed up to address 0x400. We really need some way of autodetecting
those addresses.

Another couple of things that my version is missing.

* Jesse informed me that the erasure code in my version is incorrect. I hope
  to get a chance to take a look at it next week.
* The data EEPROM programming code doesn't work for the 16F87X parts. I haven't
  tested for the 16F62X parts.
* Jesse needed to add a code mod for the EPIC programmer. It would be nice if
  that mod were configurable from the config line.

> I think I can do it in little time. But I wonder what
> do you think about this. I don't want to be the only
> one using  this version.

Well as discuss in other parts of this thread we really need to combine all of
the patches into a single comprehensive, well maintained app. The question is
if anyone has the time or the guts to do it.

I'm probably not the right person for the job simply because I don't use
my programmer on a regular basis. As discussed on my TLVP page:

http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys

I'm a bootloader person. So I really only use the programmer to drop the
bootloader code into the part. After that I program directly from the serial
port. So part of the problem is that I personally won't see many of the
functional problems because I don't use it enough.

Just some thoughts.

BAJ