gnupic: gpasm-0.18.1

Subject: Re: gpasm-0.18.1
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 29 Feb 2000 12:41:08 -0000

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Ralf Forsberg wrote:

> >> How would you want to define memory areas to display?
> >
> >The .cod file has this information encoded in it. But you'd still have
> >this problem if the memory you wish to view is modified by your program
> >but not specified in your assembly file (e.g. suppose you want to use the
> >whole upper half of the program memory to store data acquired from some
> >measurement. You wouldn't necessarily define this area in your code.)
>
> I don't think we can add all of memory (in the case of a large
> program), that would make the sheet really slow. We need a way to
> select memory.

Have you heard anything from Adrian recently about gtksheet's efficiency
problems?

> How much program memory is there in the largest pic?

Some of the 18cxxx parts have up to 32k internal. The 16f877 has 8k.

I'm not sure if there's a convenient way of getting around the problem of
having to show all of memory. I haven't tried to dynamically vary the
characteristics or attributes of gtk sheet, although I know it's possible
(the demos in gtk sheet let you add and delete rows dynamically). So, one
possibility could be to notify the gui whenever a program memory location
is accessed. Perhaps we can limit it to program memory writes. But at some
point, the user is going to want modify program memory that hasn't yet
been accessed by either the .cod files or by the simulated pic. So we'll
still be stuck with the problem of selecting which portion of memory to
view. Furthermore, eventually someone is going to want to be able to see
*all* of the program memory. I guess we need to convince Adrian to improve
gtksheet's efficiency...

Scott