gnupic: PIC operating system

Subject: Re: PIC operating system
From: "Xavier.Montagne" ####@####.####
Date: 24 Mar 2002 09:54:10 -0000

I've almost finished a full preemptive RTOS for PIC18 familly. The core
kernel is in assembler and services and application layer are in C code.
This RTOS is based on the OSEK/VDX standard originaly written for
automotive world. WindRiver (VxWorks, OSEKWorks...) has developped a kernel
compliante with this standard for 16 bits µC only, and I hope my PICOS18
will be a
serious alternative ;-)

I'm currently working with PIC18C252, and I've stopped RTOS development to
design PIC18 harware & software programmer under Windows and Linux.
The code will be probably added to ic-prog (www.ic-prog.com)... Actually I
expect so !

Concerning Salvo, the manual talks about a cooperative kernel (a task must
volontary relinquich control of the processor before another task may run)
instead of preemptive system. Depending what you need, a cooperative system
may be the best choise...

For a beta version of PICOS18, I need more time. My web site and PIC
projects are still under construction (in french version for the moment...).
But if you're interested in PIC OS development, I'm too ! Keep contact !!

Xavier