gnupic: gpasm bugs

Subject: Re: gpasm bugs
From: Jesse Lackey ####@####.####
Date: 25 Mar 2002 23:39:40 -0000

 > Well let's hear them. I'm sure that Scott and Craig would be thrilled
to have
 > someone help on documentation.

Heh, I'm not sure about the "help" part, but here's the "critique"
part...  ("Those that can do, do.  Those that cannot, criticize.")  :)

Also, thanks to everyone who has spent time and effort to create and
support these tools.  I'm delighted that I can do effective PIC work in
linux.

Jesse

gpasm suggestions, for gpasm -version = "0.10.1 alpha"

"movf RamLocation1, Ramlocation2" is allowed but not legal.  gpasm evals
the RHS, and if 0 goes to w or if 1 to 'f'.  I suggest having the RHS be
required to be 0,1,w,f, only.  Does this make sense?  I would think it
very unusual to have some expression on the RHS determine if the
destination is w or f.

The trick of using "^" to produce warnings if a register in bank 1 is
possibly being accessed as though it is in bank 0 doesn't seem to work.
  In the line of code below, if the "^ 0x80" isn't there, MPASM will
produce the message "Register in operand not in bank 0.  Ensure that
bank bits are correct".  This is a nice feature, and seems to be in
common use.  (see page 71 of Predko's programming and customizing PIC
microcontrollers book)

   btfss TXSTA ^ 0x80, TRMT

Am I understanding this correctly?  gpasm issues no warnings and
produces the same output for "btfss TXSTA^0x80, TRMT" and "btfss TXSTA,
TRMT".

gpasm -help : for -w, -a, and -r settings, say what the default is.
Also what the message levels mean, does level 0 mean more or less
messages than 2?  (you have to find / eventually stumble across the
ERRORLEVEL directive documentation to find this out).

gpasm documentation (I'm reading the .pdf):
(1)
Section 1.1, options in table don't have a "-" preceding them, except
for setting the warning level.  The "-w" should be "w" (or each option
should be shown with a hyphen).  Ya okay this is extremely picky of me.

(2)
Section 1.2.3, how to define the radix, gpasm also accepts the MPASM
style "30h" for 30 hexadecimal, this is not mentioned.  And "30d" for 30
decimal presumably?

(3)
Say what the defaults are for LIST directive.

--
Bill Gates is a crook and millions of tax dollars have been spent
prosecuting and convicting Microsoft of illegal business practices.  Do