gnupic: Hello, new on the list

Subject: Re: Hello, new on the list
From: ####@####.#### (Byron A Jeff)
Date: 16 May 2002 02:53:21 -0000

> Looks nice! I haven't researched it much, but it now
> appears to me that the 16F87x series doesn't require
> the high voltage programming environment that a 16F84
> would need. That's perfect, because my project is
> targeting either a 16F876 or 7.

Be aware of the cost though. If you use low voltage programming you lose the
I/O pin that selects the programming mode. Even worse this pin is PORT B, pin
3 on the 16F87X parts, which means that it's in the middle of a perfectly
usable 8 bit port.

> The info on the 16F628 being a replacement for the
> 16F84 is also very interesting.

I try. The only conceivable downsides that anyone can attempt to argue are
availablilty of the new parts and the fact that you can't drop in code for
a 16F845 directly into a 16F628 without a coupl of very minor modifications.

> Hmm, the circuit is so simple it seems that you could
> quicky breadboard one up instead of making some PCB
> artwork. Has anybody done some artwork for this
> already?

It's on my laundry list of things to do. However I want to PCB it right, so
I haven't yet tackled the project.

> Thanks very much,

No problem. Glad that the TLVP could be useful to you.

BAJ