gnupic: SDCC - function inlining

Subject: SDCC - function inlining
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jun 2002 23:07:59 -0000

In CVS you can find the latest version of the SDCC PIC port that now
supports function inlining. By "function inlining", I mean that instead of
calling a function, SDCC will move the function such that the code falls
through into the function with out making the call. (now that doesn't
sound too clear...).

The major benefit of this feature is that precious stack space is not
wasted on superfluous calls. An additonal benefit is that the code is ever
so slightly more efficient. Once I collapse the temporary registers used
to pass function parameters, the efficiency will go way up!

Right now, the criterion for inlining is that a function is called only
one time. I suppose that program memory can be traded off for stack space.

Scott