gnupic: beginning microcontroller programming

Subject: beginning microcontroller programming
From: ####@####.####
Date: 24 Jul 2002 13:40:57 -0000

hi everyone --

i sent an email to scott dattalo a few days ago, and he suggested a good
starting point might be this list.  i'm interested in learning
microcontroller programming, and with the research i've done, the PIC
seems to be a good chip to start with.  i'd like to learn for the sake of
learning, but I'm also particularly interested in building MIDI devices
(primarily for output).  my first project would be a footpedal controller
that sends a MIDI note (i need a trigger my pianist can step on for a
computer music piece i'm writing)

i have working knowledge of programming in C, C++, perl, etc. so the
programming part won't be a problem. i have some electronics experience
(repairing DAT decks, etc.) but i'm not sure how to crack into it.  any
guidance you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.  i'd like to do
this on linux, and it seems the tools are available.

is there a good source for hardware online?  what should i get to start
with?  how about textbooks ?

i hope to hear from all of you soon -- thanks for your time.

matt

---
matthew mccabe
url:  http://euphoria.richmond.edu/