gnupic: beginning microcontroller programming

Subject: Re: beginning microcontroller programming
From: Tim ODriscoll ####@####.####
Date: 25 Jul 2002 09:46:31 -0000

On Wed, 24 Jul 2002 ####@####.#### wrote:

> is there a good source for hardware online?  what should i get to start
> with?  how about textbooks ?

Hey Matt,

I'm pretty new to PICs too, and I bought "Easy PIC'n" and "PIC'n up the
pace" from www.sq-1.com ... Two damn fine books and although I found "Easy
PIC'n" a bit complicated at first, I keep referring back to it and
thinking, "Oh!, *that's* what that bit does!"

These books are pretty much completely based on the 16f84, but that suits
me fine as it seems to be the most popular type and with a little
grunting, you can get some pretty complex designs going with several of
these chips talking to each other. All the code in the books is in
assembly which I actually find easier than C and Perl because there's only
a few variations of the command set and it reminds me of BASIC so much :)

I use 'gputils' to compile the assembly code into a hex file, then
'prog84' to upload it to the chip via a homebuilt serial-port programmer.

HTH,

Tim
(not affilatied with sq-1.com in any way, except as a customer!)