gnupic: pic 16f84 programming

Subject: Re: pic 16f84 programming
From: ####@####.#### (Byron A Jeff)
Date: 30 Jul 2002 18:43:54 -0000

> hi.
> i'm new on the pic's world, and i would like to learn how to programm a pic.

Well first a lesson. The PIC 16F84 is obsolete. Let me repeat: The PIC 16F84
is obsolete. The average hobby PIC person should only be looking at 3 families
of chips at this point:

*  The 16F628. The superior successor to the 16F84. Check out my page here:
   http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys/16F628.html
   to see why it's the clear winner.

*  The 16F87X family. Whether small (16F872), medium (16F876), or large
   (16F877) packaging, these chips are packed with features. Since they are
   self programmable development becomes real easy. Finally they price out
   really well compared to the 16F84.

*  The 18FXXX family. The new kinds on the block. Faster, larger, and with
   a superior instruction set and architecture, this family will soon become
   the rulers of the PIC world. It's going to take some development though
   because programmers and compilers for the part are slowly coming on line.

Note that the 16F84 isn't on this list. Anywhere you see a reference to a 16F84
replace it in your mind with a 16F628, which is faster, better, and cheaper.

> i just know C...

C is fine. There are several classes of C compilers available for the PIC:

Demoware: Hitech (http://www.htsoft.com/products/pic) and CC5X
(http://www.bknd.com/cc5x/index.shtml) both have downloadable demo compilers
with time and/or space limitations.

Payware: These and other PIC C compilers can be purchased.

Open Source: Scott Datallo is furiously working on the SDCC port to the PIC.
It's usable now and is improving by the day. Scott has cautioned against
using this in production environments, but my belief is that in the typical
Open Source way, it will soon become the best of breed.

> can you indicate me where can i found (if exist), collections of library to
>make easy code writing, and books to learn more about pic programming.

Books and tutorials abound. Google is your friend.

> an another question:
> wich software do you use to program the pic (not write the code,
> but program the hardware...)

You can get going with a few bucks of hardware from the RadioShack. My Trivial
Low Voltage Programmer (TLVP) is designed for a quick simple intro to
programming the PIC. My page is here: http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys
There is programming software for both Windows (David Tait's FPP), and Linux
(my updated version of Brian Lane's picprg2.3d). Both can be found on my page.

> many thanks.

No problem. Good programming.

BAJ