gnupic: New to PICs

Subject: Re: New to PICs
From: matthew mccabe ####@####.####
Date: 18 Sep 2002 05:19:43 -0000

Hi Jon -

I was in your position about 2 months ago when I signed up for the list.

I've had small successes since then.  When I started i picked up Myke
Predko's book on PICs as well as Easy Pic'N from Square 1 electronics,
both good resource books.  I have heard that the Predko has many errors,
but it was still useful (moreso at the beginning than was the Square 1
book), and also particularly because it comes with a parallel port PIC
programmer circuit board that you construct yourself.

I bought all the parts locally & from Digi-Key and Jameco.  I ended up
going with the PIC16F628, partly because I read a bunch of commentary on
how it's a better option than the older F84, it is pin-for-pin compatible
with the F84, and more importantly for me it has an on-board USART and
timing R/C circuit.  Key for me since I want to build MIDI controllers.

I was able to do all of the experiments from the books that are
supposed to be F84 with the F628, with minor code mods.  The 628 is also
cheaper and has more capacity than the F84, and it's faster.

I can't speak to the linux compatibility of the programmer that comes with
the book - i haven't tried it.  all my linux machines are in production
environments :)  but, i compile my code with gpasm on Mac OS X and then
copy the .hex files over to a Windows box for burning.

I hope this is helpful...  the list is a great resource, and there are
tons of projects on the web.

good luck -- keep us apprised of your progress.  :)

-matt

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jon Sprague wrote:
> I'm new to PIC chips.
> I do have some electronic knowledge and I am a programmer. I use Linux daily
> so I shouldn't be completely in the dark.
>
> I'm planning on starting with the PIC16F84.
> My question is: what chip programmer should I get or make?
>
> I saw one at www.imagesco.com It's called EPIC Programmer.
>
> Will this programmer work with any of the Linux compilers? And if so which
> ones?
> Recomondations?

---
matthew mccabe ####@####.####
university of richmond music technology lab
studio: 287-1850    mobile: 804-400-0515
personal pages: http://www.euph0r1a.net/