gnupic: 'gpsim' 16f877 newbee questions

Subject: 'gpsim' 16f877 newbee questions
From: "Tom Alldread, VA7TA" ####@####.####
Date: 14 Oct 2002 17:13:25 -0000

Greetings All:

	I just installed the 0.20.14 version of 'gpsim' from the tarball file to
run on my RedHat Linux 7.1 platform. I am very impressed with the
program  overall and wish to congratulate the authors! It sure is nice to
have a simulator available that operates at real time speeds!

	During the install I found I needed to change an optional compile for a
readline statement which fortunately the author's had allowed for with a
conditional compile statement. After that minor glitch it seemed to install
OK.

	As I missed the convenience of the MPLAB IDE somewhat I wrote a couple of
very simple script files to streamline the 'gpsim' simulate and 'gpasm'
code re-assembly cycle for the asm  source file I am working on.

	I have the following questions:

	1) The PIC16F877 'gpsim' simulation is flagged as not fully implemented. I
wonder if there is a list of the peripherals that should and/or may/will
not work?

	2) I need to be pointed in the right direction for changing the clock
frequency in 'gpsim' from the 4MHz default to the 16MHz rate that my
hardware will run at. I looked at the options but didn't immediately see
how this change is made.

	3) I find I get a 'parse and/or bit expected error' when I try to load the
COD file using the either the gpsim LOAD command or by invoking gpsim with
the 'gpsim -ppic16f877 -cfilename.cod' Linux shell command line. However I
find I can load the file just fine with the GUI 'File' menu command. It
would streamline my re-assembly cycle a bit if I could get the 'gpsim
-ppic16f877 -cfilename.cod' shell command line to work. I have tried
including the full path for the filename.cod file which didn't seem to help.

	4) I wrote the source ASM code with the MPLAB editor and I find MPLAB does
a fine job of printing the list file to my specifications. I wonder what
the favorite Linux platform editors may be for writing ASM code? So far I
have found that my MPLAB source code looks pretty ragged on the Linux
platform editors that I have tried.

	Any pointers would be appreciated!

	Many thanks in advance!

---