gnupic: newbie

Subject: newbie
From: Joseph Greenawalt ####@####.####
Date: 19 Oct 2002 19:46:13 -0000

Hello All,
I am new to the group, and wanted to start some micro programming.  I am
a programmer by trade, but my work is mainly in business programming
java, ABAP, and coldfusion, but have been wanting to get into robotics
for some time.  I run nothing but linux at home so that is what brought
me here.  Anyway my plan is to take some circuit board intro classes at
a community college but wanted to get started on programming the chips
before the class.  It's been a while for me since assembly.  I have
decided on the PIC it seems pretty popular from my readings.  I was
wondering if someone here could provide me with a list of hardware i can
buy to get started using linux.  I noticed a lot of people build their
own programmer, but I am not at that stage yet.  I have tried to look
for the  Dontronics DT-001 programmer, does anyone know where I can buy
that, and what else do I need to get started? I have downloaded gputils,
c2c compiler, picprg.  I am willing to start with any suggestions you
might have.
Thanks in advance,
Joseph Greenawalt