gnupic: gpsim - 16F877 - Installation Problem?

Subject: gpsim - 16F877 - Installation Problem?
From: "Tom Alldread, VA7TA" ####@####.####
Date: 11 Nov 2002 17:51:04 -0000

Greetings Folks:

	I have encountered so many problems trying to use 'gpsim' to simulate my
16F877 program which runs OK under the MicroChip simulator that I am
starting to wonder if my installation of 'gpsim' is corrupt.

	The latest problem I encountered is that I could not initialize the TMR1H
register. The 0xEC initialization value loaded into W OK with the 'movlw
0xEC' instruction and the following 'movwf TMR1H' instruction completed
with a confirmation in the terminal window that the value had indeed been
written to TMR1H. I find however that the value in the corresponding SFR
address 0x0F remained at 0x00. As the problem came to light as a result of
incorrect timing  do to the  improper initialization of T1 I am confident
the initialization attempt did in fact fail.

	This problem seems so fundamental to the use of 'gpsim' that I wonder if
my installation is corrupt. I am running the software under a fully up2date
version of Redhat 7.1. I had to compile 'gpsim' from the tarzip package as
I couldn't find an RPM for my version of Linux. As I am new at compiling
programs from tarzip packages it wouldn't surprise me if I made an error in
the process. However 'gpsim' seems to initialize OK and responds to the
processor switch command with the 16F877 screens. The only exception I
noticed is that a few SFR memory addresses associated with some of the more
advance peripherals are shown blank. I presume this indicates 16F877
peripherals that have not been implemented  yet within 'gpsim'. Since
'gpsim' seems to run OK I have been thinking the installation must be right
but I wonder if that is an oversimplification?

	I wonder if anyone here can confirm that they have successfully utilized
the latest release of 'gpsim' to simulate 16F877 programs?

	I would sure like to use gpsim to simulate my program at real time speed
thus any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

TIA
Tom

---