gnupic: ICD

Subject: ICD
From: Ralf Forsberg ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 2002 12:06:00 -0000

Hello,

I am about to build an ICD (can't afford to buy one at the moment).

The plan is to start with the source in icdprog and try to work
out how to simulate with the ICD using MPLAB as the reference.
I'm hoping that this will lead to ICD support in gpsim.

I get indications that the ICD will be discontinued in favor of
the ICD2, so the ICD2 would be the better choice. Also the ICD2
has USB which gives better transfer rates, and has support for
the 18x chips. The USB chip that is used (FTDI), I have learned has
Linux drivers! So I imagine that you can just select a virtual serial
port in order to use the USB for the ICD2.

Does anyone know if there are schematics of the ICD2 somewhere?

Another thought is that IIRC the protocol used by the ICD is
ascii-based. Do you imagine it would be possible to code new
firmware that uses a tighter protocol? It wouldn't be compatible
with MPLAB, but it would be faster and there would be no need for
reverse engineering. There is a DS51242A that have some information
about this, but it does not look complete?

 / Ralf