gnupic: ICD

Subject: Re: ICD
From: "Niklas Wennerstrand" ####@####.####
Date: 15 Nov 2002 20:22:05 -0000

Hello Ralf,
The FTDI chip is not used in the ICD2 if I have read right on the
piclist.
It has accordingly to someone that has opened the ICD2 a cypress USB
chip.

The FTDI chip is quite nice to use if you want to build an ICD2
yourself.
Maybe Microchip is willing to share their ICD2 USB commands but I doubt
it.
Even if you have the information on their device driver for USB under
windoze you will have problem implement it under linux.
USB is quite tricky to do, far more complex than straight forwads rs232.
But with the FTDI drivers for linux you can get fast communication to
your design. Its like rs232 but fast. (USB support under linux took
several kernel versions to get there so take that as a measurement on
its complexity)

If you want Microchip ICD2 to work under linux with Microchip USB
firmware in the cypress chip then you have to have a USB analyser
snooping the messages and a USB analyser is not something that ordinary
mortals can afford.

The ideal would be to make Microchip ICD2 work under linux but to do
that without Microchips help is almost impossible.

Maybe some one here sees this as a challenge and proves me wrong?

But as ICD2 also have rs232 I would start there and after that figure
out the USB alternative later on.

If yo do not plan to get support for Microchip ICD2 under gpsim you can
build your own ICD2 with a fast FTDI chip as an alternative and still
get it quite "simple".

The ICD commands to the actual 16F87X have even been on Microchips
website but I have not seen any information on the 18FXXX devices yet
and as they program different than 16F87X in general I would suspect
that the ICD handling differs as well. You would need to know that as
well so that all PIC can be supported.

You will probably need the collective knowledge on this community to
finish the project. But if you do get the ICD2 to work under gpsim it
would be really nice.

Regards
Niklas