gnupic: gpsim has ICD support

Subject: gpsim has ICD support
From: Ralf Forsberg ####@####.####
Date: 17 Dec 2002 16:11:52 -0000

Hello,

The CVS version of gpsim can now make use of an ICD.

You can step, reset, run, halt, set the breakpoint and read file
registers. It works both from the gui and the cli.

Here's how:
Download and install icdprog. Then,
$ icdprog mycode.hex
$ gpsim -d /dev/ttyS0 -s mycode.cod

Now you can type 'icd' to see some information:
**gpsim> icd
ICD version "2.31.00" was found.
Target controller is 16F877 rev 13.
Vdd: 5.2        Vpp: 13.3
Debug module is present

2.31 is the firmware version. I have only tried this particular version...

Keep in mind that it is really slow. Wait at least a minute before
thinking that it has locked up. In the normal case it is similar to
MPLAB in speed. Also mplab has a setting for target cpu frequency, I
have only tried with a 20MHz crystal, so there may be adjustments to be
made to the serial port timeout settings in gpsim.

The source, disassembly, watch, symbol and RAM windows works. And
the rest doesn't. I guess the breadboard should be able to work at
least for the pic, but it doesn't. The execution stops one instruction
after the one intended, so "run here" runs until the instruction after
'here'. I don't know if this is a bug in gpsim or not.
It should work with sdcc too, but I haven't tried that.

Things left to do is:
 - eeprom support
 - modifying data
 - Fix the UI to give more feedback about what's happening during long
   delays.
 - Add a section to the docs.

But still, feel free to try it out and share you experiences.

 / Ralf