gnupic: Programming 18F parts from linux?

Subject: Programming 18F parts from linux?
From: Jesse Lackey ####@####.####
Date: 21 Dec 2002 07:25:20 -0000

Hello all,

I have a micro engineering EPIC parallel-port programmer that I (mostly)
successfully use to program 16F877 parts with, using a modified version
of picprg 2.3.

But now I'm on to 18F parts (specifically the 242 and 452) and need to
program those.

I'm thinking of going the bootloader route to simplify and speed up
things, but I need to program them at least once to start with, of course.

The (windows) software that came with the EPIC requires and upgrade to
handle them, which I can only get by mailing them the original floppy,
plus $10 plus UPS shipping back to me.  Utterly absurd.  It seems they
think its still 1985.  I'm doing it anyway but will probably be 2 weeks
before the precious floppy disk arrives.  So I can't take the bootloader
approach yet.

How are people programming these parts?
Anyone using a parallel-port style programmer, with source for the
software so I can patch it to use the EPIC?

Thanks in advance!
Jesse