gnupic: Gpasm / Mpasm hex file compatibility

Subject: Re: Gpasm / Mpasm hex file compatibility
From: Pete Harlow ####@####.####
Date: 2 Mar 2004 10:41:03 -0000

Scott,

Thanks for your post. I've managed to load MPlab under Crossover Office,
and I get the same error on the hex file. Running unix2dos on the hex
file fixes it, but I've not a Picstart here to test with...

I'll let you know what happens at the other end!

You are absolutely right about zipping files - my client uses Compuserve
and has been having difficulty even saving the hex file attachment as a
separate file. Zipping seems to get round this. Add to this the problem
of no serial port and having to use an adaptor... I thought these modern
boxes were meant to be easy to use :-j

Regards,

Pete.

Scott Dattalo wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Pete Harlow wrote:
>

>>I've just assembled up a new version of some code for a client and sent
>>the hex file to him. The gpasm hex file worked fine with picp and my
>>Picstart Plus here to produce a working chip.
>>However my client has used his Picstart with Mplab and this complains
>>that the hex file has a bad checksum.
>>
>>Are the checksum formats different?
>

> The problem is most probably an end-of-line issue. Try converting your
> .hex files to "dos" before sending them to your client. e.g.:
>
> $ unix2dos hexfile.hex
>
> Another thing I found is that some mail readers like to reformat files
> when they're saved. So the other thing I do is package the .hex file into
> a .zip file too.
>
> Scott

Pete Harlow                                     Thales e-Transactions
Tel  +33 1 69 88 59 41
Fax  +33 1 69 88 54 05

This e-mail and any attachment may contain confidential and privileged material intended for the addressee only.
If you are not the addressee, you are notified that no part of the e-mail or any attachment may be disclosed,
copied or distributed, and that any other action related to this e-mail or attachment is strictly prohibited,
and may be unlawful.
If you have received this e-mail by error, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, and delete
this message. Thales, its subsidiaries and/or its employees shall not be liable for the incorrect or incomplete
transmission of this e-mail or any attachments, nor responsible for any delay in receipt.