gnupic: gpal fork

Subject: Re: gpal fork
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 8 Mar 2004 15:16:12 -0000

On Mon, 2004-03-08 at 04:21, Michiel Boerman wrote:
> I expect the other guy is smart enough not integrate his software with
> Craig's but call gpal as a seperate process. Not much you can do
> against that under GPL. And my guess is that Craig is not  pissed off
> at the legal issue but at someone making a profit out of his efforts
> while keeping theirs for themselves.
> ...Like cycling into a strong wind for hours and then finding somone
> has been riding in your wake all the time. They havent hurt you in any
> way but still you feel like stopping at a quiet spot and breaking all
> their bones (if they have any)

That is pretty much how I feel.  Though I won't be breaking any bones.

For the rest of you:

I thought I had explained this, but from the number of emails I received
I must have not been clear.  The individual is not linking my code and
his code, neither statically nor dynamically.  He is maintaining
separate binaries to satisfy the licensing.  He has one wrapper that
invokes the binaries, but that is GPL (though it probably doesn't
matter).  His binaries process intermediate output files.

As required, he will provide his changes to gputils, but as I stated in
the original message the interesting stuff is in his binaries and we
won't have that source code.

This has precedent.  Some of the Linux IDEs do this with gcc.  Although
maybe not in the spirit of the license, it does appear to follow the
letter of the license.  That is all that matters.

My ISP's mail server is getting blacklisted because of SPAM.  Very few
of my messages are getting through.  I may not be able to respond to any
more messages for a few days.