gnupic: gpasm chokes on #IF

Subject: Re: gpasm chokes on #IF
From: David Willmore ####@####.####
Date: 17 Apr 2004 19:52:10 +0100

> There is not a separate preprocessor.  It is part of gpasm's lexer.
> gpasm supports most of the documented features of mpasm.  It also
> supports some of the undocumented features.

I know. ;)  It's just that the documentation uses that term, so I
thought I'd use it, too. ;)  A little fiction never hurts.

> AFAIK, the mpasm manual and the help in mplab only describe IF without
> the #.  #if is an undocumented extension.  These extensions change from
> release to release.  For example, in the past #endif was only valid if
> it started on column 1.  #ifdef could start on any column.  Now #endif
> can be placed anywhere.  This makes supporting gpasm a little bit of a
> challenge.  I remember testing #if a couple of years back and mpasm
> didn't support it.

How do commercial PIC developers live with that?  I guess if it always
gets more inclusive, it's less risky, but I'd hate to have a new version
of the IDE (maybe necessary for *one* of the parts I'm using) break some
code for an older part.  That sure makes regression testing a bear.  You'd
need to keep a full regression environment around.  *shudder*

> I will retest mpasm and update gpasm's "preprocessor".

Optionally, I could poke the author with a sharp stick and tell him this
isn't a feature he should feel safe in relying on.  I think I'll do that
anyway.  This code is for the PIC-EL board (www.amqrp.org) which is part
of the ELMER-160 project.  A project that is trying to teach amateur radio
people how to program PICs.  As an example piece of code, we should probably
stick to proper, documented features of MPASM/MPLAB.  I'll go sharpen a
stick...

Thanks Craig.

Cheers,
David