gnupic: What PIC chips do you use.

Subject: Re: What PIC chips do you use.
From: Alexandre Pereira Nunes ####@####.####
Date: 20 May 2004 03:14:43 +0100

Jeff wrote:

>On Wednesday 19 May 2004 06:01 pm, Alexandre Pereira Nunes wrote:
>

>>I'm interested specially in 18f family, 252/452, I wrote support to
>>these devices and sent a picp patch last year (in fact, my patch
>>contained other fixes/improvements, but I can't remember exactly what
>>they are), is this version supporting these chips?
>>

>Yes, 18f family is supported to the extent that Andrew Pines' last version of
>picp (version 0.5d) supported it, including 252 and 452. If you have fixes or
>improvements that where not included in version 0.5d, could you please email
>them to me in a .zip or .tar.gz file?
>
>Thanks,
>Jeff

This version (picp 0.5d) doesn't support 18fxx2 devices at all.

These devices are listed as supported, but that's because it's "headers"
were just captured from mplab, but the software itself lacks support to
both the addressing scheme (word size and alignment) and some extended
commands needed to eg. program the larger configuration "bits".

I'll send you (privately, 'cause the list doesn't take attachments) the
last patch I've released last year (you can apply it against a fresh
picp 0.5d version).
I've made some changes after that, but I'll have to check if these were
consistent (I didn't finish working on it, 'cause by that time these
changes were enough to get our work done).

Besides 18fxx2 support, the patch also implements reading from data
memory and from eprom,  and reading/writing id locations.

Some people complained about a bug not introduced by my patch ,but
inherent to picp, which I didn't try to solve. I would have to check the
mailing list archives to remember what it was about, I guess it had
something to do with "page" boundaries on weird HEX files.

I would like to thank you for continuing work on picp, some people
really depend on that (At least some friends of mine, which by that
time,  sponsored me in order to develop 18fxx2 support. We released the
patch under the same license as the original picp, and as a testing
release, the idea was to clean it up and enhance a few things, but since
the patch worked fine for them, we didn't advance in that work).

Alex