gnupic: A possible bug with udata

Subject: Re: A possible bug with udata
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 6 Sep 2004 05:21:19 +0100

That linker script defines the 16f871 data memory as all sharebank.

SHAREBANK   NAME=gprnobnk0     START=0x20     END=0x6F
SHAREBANK   NAME=gprnobnk0     START=0x120    END=0x16F

SHAREBANK   NAME=gprnobnk1     START=0xA0     END=0xBF
SHAREBANK   NAME=gprnobnk1     START=0x1A0    END=0x1BF

There are no unprotected databank definitions.  Here is an example from
the 16f877:

DATABANK   NAME=gpr0     START=0x20     END=0x6F

The linker has a udata section to relocate, but no data sections are
defined, so it reports no memory is available.

If you change the directive from udata to udata_shr, it will work.

I tested mplink and it behaves the same way.

1.  I really could generate a better error message in this case.  Maybe
I should distinguish between running out of memory and not having any to
begin with.  I will put it on my list.

2.  I have considered relocating udata sections to shared memory, when
you run out of unshared memory.  I really never fully considered the
consequences.  I will take another look at it.