gnupic: Proposal for gpdasm feature

Subject: Re: Proposal for gpdasm feature
From: Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 23 Sep 2004 15:06:56 +0100

On Thursday 23 September 2004 01:22 am, Gabor Kiss [Bitman] wrote:

> E.g. DIS80 automatically discovers (the most possible) subroutine
> entry points and jump targets then puts symbolic labels like
> "A3F45" into the disassembled code. (Where 0x3F45 the location of the
> label.)
> Data areas are also recognized and labelled.

My 8052 disassembler has an automatic code analysis feature, and I'm
currently working on code analysis for the Z80 disassembler.  This feature is
not trivial to implement, and I'm too short on time to tackle it for gpdasm
right now.

However,  allowing the user to write a control file to add labels etc to
the output is not particularly difficult. Someone suggested that the
objective could be accomplished with sed. While this is probably true, I
don't expect PIC users to be sed experts and it seems to me that writing the
sed files would be more time consuming than writing the simple control files
I have in mind.

I intend to implement this in my own private version of gpdasm, because I
find it so useful. The question is whether it would be useful enough to
others to warrant inclusion in the official version of gpdasm. Note that if
you don't use the -a option, the output of gpdasm will remain the same as it
is with the current version--if you don't want it, just don't use it.

Opinions pro or con are welcome :-)

Jeff