gnupic: gputils COFF directives

Subject: gputils COFF directives
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 26 Sep 2004 21:17:58 +0100

I have added a set of directives to gputils for direct modification of
the COFF symbol table.  This will allow symbol types, optimizer
directives, simulator commands, ...  to be placed in the object files at
assembly time.

These directives are an extension to gputils,  The names are old AS
directives that were used for COFF files.  However the syntax was
modified to conform with existing gpasm directives.  The directives are:

.def  Create or modify a COFF symbol
.dim  Create an auxiliary symbol
.eof  End of File
.file Start of File
.line  Create a line number

Three of the directives have been in gpasm for a while (#file, #eof,
#line).  I have changed them (.file, .eof, and .line) to  conform with
the new directives.  Otherwise they behave in the same manor.  The
leading "." on the names should keep them from colliding with symbol
definitions in most users source code.

These features are advanced and require knowledge of how gputils
relocatable objects work. These features are intended to be used by
compilers. Nothing prevents them from being used with assembly.  I have
created a new header file (coff.inc) to simplify things for assembly
programmers.  It is not complete.  It will contain many macros to
perform common operations.

The gputils manual has been updated.  Expect some changes over the next
couple of weeks.  Some of the details are still being decided.  I will
add a section on how to use the directives in a week or so.