gnupic: Quick port of Janusz J. Mlodzianowski's MediumC to linux

Subject: Re: Quick port of Janusz J. Mlodzianowski's MediumC to linux
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 7 Sep 2000 13:32:40 -0000

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, D. Jeff Dionne wrote:

> Taking a quick look around for a C compiler for pic, I found Janusz J.
> Mlodzianowski's MediumC written for Borland C (I also found this list)
> I've done a quick port to Linux...
>
> ftp://ryeham.ee.ryerson.ca/pub/pic/mediumc.tar.gz
>
> It generates poor code, but seems to work and it's GPL'd.  YMMV

Confirmed.

mediumc suffers from the same root cause of pic_cc: ported from Small C. In the
ten minutes I played with it, I found that it was less stable than pic_cc and
generated the same code.

--------

As you probably know, I asked the SDCC guys what it'd take to target a PIC. The
answer was predictable: Yeah, no problem, but no time either... One person has
expressed serious interest in pursuing this arduous task. But before we venture
off into this somewhat uncharted territory, I'd suggest we look at what it would
take to use gcc as the basis for the pic c compiler. Jeff Dionne and a few
others on the SDCC list suggest that it may not be as bad as we think (or at
least I think). It seems rather daunting. However, there's already been a gcc
port to AVR and this may serve as a good template for a port to the
PIC. Furthermore, there have been probably 20 different processors targeted by
gcc. There's got to be some common ground between these and a PIC in there
somewhere.

I'm not suggesting that SDCC be abandoned just yet. However a port to gcc will
allow us to leverage off the huge GNU tool chain.

Scott