gnupic: GPAL questions

Subject: Re: GPAL questions
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 24 Oct 2004 20:02:07 +0100

David McNab wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a read through the GPAL manual - very interesting. Nice to see a
> high-level language being built especially for PIC.
>
> Just a few quick questions:
> 1. How active is GPAL development at present?

It is very active right now.  It will continue to be as long as no more
gpasm bugs are found.

> 2. Are there any GPAL example programs available, preferably actual
>    projects comprising multiple modules?

There is one example in gputils-extra.  You will have to get it from CVS.

> 3. What support is there for initialised data tables, including
>    strings?

Within subprograms initialized data is supported.  Strings and idata
sections are on my TODO list.  I don't know if it will make 0.13.0.

> 4. What support is there for PIC practicalities - eg accessing EEPROM,
>    declaring data in EEPROM or program memory etc?

Right now, most of this stuff requires assembly.

> 5. I'm presently using CC5X free edition. What advantages would I see
>    if I switched to GPAL?

I am not really familiar with CC5X capabilities.  I doubt gpal has its
capabilities or maturity yet.

> 6. Is there a roadmap for GPAL?

Yes, but I have never published it.  I will try to consolidate my lists
and get one ready for 0.13.0.