gnupic: PIC languages chat (was: Re: GPAL loops bug?)

Subject: PIC languages chat (was: Re: GPAL loops bug?)
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 27 Oct 2004 11:28:12 +0100

####@####.#### wrote:
> WOW !! GPAL does single-stepping ?

It does, /sorta/.
  - one eye on the gpal source code
  - one eye on the assembler source (from gpal -S)
  - one eye on the gpsim code window
  - one eye on the .map file
:)

>>There's a time when it's more appropriate to hand the issue over to the
>>author, especially when the author is active and sincerely responsive.

> Yes the response in this group is fantastic.
> But if you 'ride the horse too hard' it might get burn out.

Fair comment - I could really go to town with requests/bugnotices, but
as an OSS dev myself, I know the feeling of being inundated with
feedback when the incoming $$$ is SFA. I've burned out on numerous
projects in the past.

> It's always good to feedback:
>   * I did abc,
>   * got xyz..
> both to reduce the work load on the developer, and spread knowledge
> to other users.

Generally yes, but I felt in this case the code snippet I posted would
suffice - Craig diagnosed the issue very quickly

> We'd like to see the GPAL 'hex-generated' compared with that of
> picforth, which we know you are using.

That would be interesting. As GPAL grows, I'll look into doing some kind
of comparison. Inter-language benchmarking is a minefield though - takes
extreme care to code the test programs in such a way as no bias is shown
toward any particular language.

For instance, /. featured a language shootout which trashed Python. The
Python developers were outraged, because the python versions of the
benchmarks were extremely poor code which barely touched the language's
power.

> I can't remember if picforth wrote hex or if I just used a hex editor
>   to cutNpaste the 'obj-file'.

picforth writes directly to .hex files.

IMO, it would actually be better if picforth could generate relocatable
assembler instead. I've got a homebrew Forth compiler engine (in
python!) which I might extend sometime to do just that.

--
Cheers
David