gnupic: PICs on Linux

Subject: Re: PICs on Linux
From: Byron A Jeff ####@####.####
Date: 5 Nov 2004 14:37:19 +0000

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 09:02:23PM +0000, Robert J. Lee wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I hope you don't mind me barging in on this list like this, but I am very
> interested in PIC programming.

No imposition whatsoever.

> First off, here's a PIC assembler I wrote:
> http://www.rjlee.dyndns.org/projects/programs/pic/
> It's written in Perl, tested under Linux (assembled code tested on real PICs)
> and released under the GPL. Currently, it only supports the PIC16C5X series.

You should check out gpasm in the gputils suite then. It supports virtually
every PIC that's out there.

> I am currently developing a complex circuit which I am hoping to base around
> the PIC16C54 and dsPIC3F2010. However, I've recently ditched Microsoft
> Windows in favour of Linux, and I want to get back into programming PICs.

Interesting combination. Why the 16C54? Microchip has a plethora of newer,
more capable, easier to use, and cheaper chips. Also because of the gputils
suite there's no worries about being able to program them.

I usually recommend the 16F88 for one off hobby designs in the 18 pin form
factor. I'm still trying to get up to speed with the 18F family, which is
far superior in design than the 16F parts. But until then the 16F877A is a
quite capable 40 pin part that can handle anything and everything you can
throw at it.

> I have access to a MicroMaster LV hardware programmer (made by ICE Technology
> Limited), but all the software I have for it is for DOS. It's not mine so I
> don't want to risk damaging it in developing new software for it. Can anyone
> recommend either software for this programmer, or another hardware programmer
> that I could and use get on Linux?

Take a look at my PIC page: http://www.finitesite.com/d3jsys which has the
designs for my trivial programmers, both low and high voltage. They will
happily program any modern flash part via the parallel port. And it only takes
a handful of easily obtainable components to put together.

> Alternatively, would this work with a DOS clone for Linux (such as DOSEmu)? (I
> am reluctant to just try it in case it breaks something on the controller).

Another alternative is using a chip that can be bootloaded. I'm not sure of
the status on the dspPICs from this aspect though.

BAJ