gnupic: PICs on Linux

Subject: Re: PICs on Linux
From: Ryan Underwood ####@####.####
Date: 6 Nov 2004 22:25:53 +0000

On Sat, Nov 06, 2004 at 05:12:56AM -0600, ####@####.#### wrote:

> That's exactly what I mean: we don't want to have to research how to
> 1. disable the printer driver,
> 2. pass the IRQ to DOSEMU,
> 3. pass the I/O address in fast mode (no tracing).

No offense, but that sounds only like laziness.  The first is done with
rmmod lp.  The later two are documented right in the config file.

> Nor do you want to read the instruction manual for your ball-pen
> before you use it to scribble down a number.

Complex pieces of software are not ball-point pens; there is more than
one input and more than one expected result.  You start getting into the
realm of microwave ovens and VCRs in terms of the user interface.

> BTW can you list the detailed instructions eg. files to edit to
> acheive your above 3 steps ?

/etc/dosemu/dosemu.conf

If you want to disable the printer driver completely, here's what is in
my modules.conf, but on your system it might differ:

# Don't load lp driver.

alias char-major-6 off
alias /dev/printers* off
alias /dev/lp* off

> DOSEMU is over 10 years old and it's still in a state of chaos;
> I'm on the mailing list.

The DOS "platform" is/was the definition of chaos.  Linux and glibc/gcc
are also rather on the chaotic side of things.  It stands to reason that
if you are emulating a chaotic (and largely undocumented) environment on
top of another chaotic environment, that you are not going to have an
orderly time of it.  Why not have a little patience and provide
suggestions toward its improvement along the way ?

--
Ryan Underwood, ####@####.####