gnupic: hyperterminal equivalent for linux?

Subject: Re: hyperterminal equivalent for linux?
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 7 Nov 2004 00:35:13 +0000

Iain Duncan wrote:
 > All the examples I have found so far are for windows and use
 > hyperterminal. Any suggestions?

The Linux counterpart of Hyperterminal is called 'minicom'. If your
linux distro doesn't have minicom on tap (which would be strange),
Google should dig up the homepage where you can get the source.

As for sending/receiving via RS232, you have 2 choices:

1) Use the on-chip USART (if available) - this requires a MAX232
TTL<->RS232 transceiver chip, or equivalent (which converts 0V (low) to
+12V, and 5V (high) to -12V).

2) Bit-bash the serial directly - you'll have to either:
  * use a MAX232 or equivalent, or
  * use a voltage divider for the serial in (ie, your PC's serial out) so
    you don't fry the chip with raw +12V. A couple of resistors should
    suffice - refer www.picaxe.co.uk, look at the scematics on their
    datasheets to see the resistor values required. Also, if you do this,
    you'll have to invert all bits received and sent - code to send and
    receive RS232 by bit-bashing is available on www.piclist.com. Note
    that most intel PCs can take the PIC's TTL outputs directly into
    the RS232 Receive without problem.

Hope this helps

Cheers
David