gnupic: Requests for adding support to program chips to PikDev?

Subject: Re: Requests for adding support to program chips to PikDev?
From: Justin Fielding ####@####.####
Date: 17 Nov 2004 20:30:07 +0000

David Willmore wrote:

>Hello, all.
>
>I just got over the learning curve of adding new device support
>to PikDev--not all that bad and it would have been half as
>difficult if I had been a C++ programmer *first*. :)

I hear you.  I have just been looking in to getting a little more
advanced in my programming of PIC's.  I had just been playing with F84's
and started to explore the features of F628's, programming in ASM with
MPLAB.  It seems though that if I want to get a little more advanced,
then I should look in to using C to develop code, running on a
bootloader or RTOS.  It seems whatever area I come to, even more
advanced PHP coding (like wanting to alter PHP / Apache modules)
requires knowledge of C.  So looks like I will have to start learning now.

>I've submitted code to Alain for:
>12F508
>12F509
>16F505
>16F54
>
>I've written the code in such a way that support for:
>10F20x
>16F57
>16F59
>
>should be easy.  The 57 and 59 will require a slight
>change to the programming routine, but I planned for that
>in the code.
>
>So, I guess what I would like to ask is are there any other
>parts that people would like to see support for?  If you're
>willing to send me a couple of them, I'd be glad to do it.

I have lost touch a bit, I guess the F628 types are already covered.

Have you thought about coding some modules for the emulator?  There are
already some LED's and even an LCD, but how about some more, advanced
and usable modules?  A servo with graphical depiction of a servo and
related movement would be quite a task but I'm sure thousands of people
are in dire need of such development projects.  Im sure if you use CVS
to build the module, there are other people with selected skills who
would not mind helping out with certain aspects.

Anyway, just a little suggestion, as you were asking :)