gnupic: help request for gpal &gpasm for 18F252

Subject: Re: help request for gpal &gpasm for 18F252
From: Craig Franklin ####@####.####
Date: 12 Dec 2004 03:10:36 +0000

Carlo wrote:

>Hello everybody,
>
>I am a complete newcomer as far as electronics is concerned. I need to
>program pic18f252 for counting the trigger events, which happen at
>random times in the range few microseconds to hundreds of milliseconds,
>and for sending out a signal when such counter reaches a pre-specified
>level (for instance 2000). I am a Debian user and I would like to use
>gputils. I have read the manual, I liked it for its essential style,
>but, on the other hand, I am completely stuck. For instance, how to deal
>with the "input/output" in gpal (ie read my trigger event and send out
>to a pit port the output, in gpal)?

It is fairly rough right now.  It would be even worse if Robert Kaes
hadn't been contributing to the 18xx target of gpal.

1.  Use gpal from cvs.  There are a couple of known bugs, but it is
better than the released stuff.
2.  Manually run gp2pub to generate a public file for the processor.
3.  Compile something like this:

gplink-0.12.4 alpha
Copyright (c) 1998-2004 gputils project
Listing File Generated: 12-11-2004  20:51:46

Address  Value    Disassembly              Source
-------  -----    -----------              ------
                                           public main is

                                           end public;

                                           module main is

                                             with p18f252;

                                             procedure main is

                                             begin

00002a   0e44     movlw    0x44                   p18f252.porta = 0x44;
00002c   010f     movlb    0xf
00002e   6e80     movwf    0x80, 0
000030   0012     return    0

000000   ef15     goto    0x2a                  end procedure;
000002   f000

                                           end module;

>I have tried the assembly way, but
>it is an overwhelming effort for my limited skill (especially addressing
>the memory).

You really need to get this working on at least one example.  Compilers
good for improving productivity.  If you use a compiler without
understanding how the PIC works, you will be lost when things don't work.

> <>Where can I find some example of some working and complete
> Gpal code and maybe some tutorial or Brief book?I started reading the
> datasheet from Microchip, but If I keep on with this pace I will not
> meet my very close deadline.

Don't use gpal for any close deadline.  It is an on going project for
me.  Like the linker, it will take time for me to complete.