gnupic: compiling gpal

Subject: Re: compiling gpal
From: David McNab ####@####.####
Date: 16 Dec 2004 13:10:18 +0000

Geoff Horn wrote:
> I'm having trouble with compiling gpal programs. Specifically I've tried the
> example from David McNab (2004-10-24)  and using the command line he gave
>
> "gpal -c helloleds.pal p16f873a.pub"
>
> I get the error:
>
>  "helloleds.pub: No such file or directory".

Apologies - I've attached the missing 'helloleds.pub' file to this message.

> Does someone have a definitive method for compiling such a simple program? I
> find the requirement to specify the processor so many times in so many ways
> offputting and confusing! Cannot it just be specified once? After all if I
> have a statement in my pal file: "with p16f873a", my intentions are clear.
> Please put me out of my misery!

Hopefully with this missing file things should compile OK.

> Yup, I'm not a programmer and I would like to move away from Jal and use gpal.

The question is - do you have a clear and specific preference for gpal?
I shelved my experiments with gpal because I got the sense that it's
way under-ripe in development and not yet ready for users.

Given that you've said you're a non-programmer (ie, not yet a
programmer), I'd recommend two other free (as in 'beer' and 'speech')
  - PicForth - http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth, or
  - PyAstra - http://pyastra.sourceforge.net

PicForth is an excellent and pragmatic Forth implementation for PIC,
that's mature enough to be used in real development projects. Definitely
worth a try. Forth is a crazy language with a zealous core of
enthusiasts - some people find Forth exhilarating and liberating - other
people find it an excruciating form of torture - you gotta try it to see
if it fits with your thinking style. I do consider it a good first
language though, since it teaches some good programming concepts.

PyAstra is a Python implementation for PIC. Python is arguably the best
first language for not-yet-programmers, since it is so powerful, yet
quickly learnable, and its design is truly an inspiration. PyAstra is a
bit green, but works well enough to get a 'feel' for PIC programming,
and shouldn't entrap you into bad habits.

One last option - grab the free version of the CC5X C compiler. It's a
harder path for non-programmers, but worth the slog. There are
multi-module techniques that let you bypass most of the 'free crippled'
limitations.

Cheers
David

public helloleds is