gnupic: Re: How to use MPASM generated "cod" files with GPSIM

Subject: Re: [PIC]: How to use MPASM generated "cod" files with GPSIM
From: Scott Dattalo ####@####.####
Date: 14 Sep 2000 12:24:38 -0000

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Wojtek Zabolotny wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Because of the bug in macro implementation in GPASM (discussed in the
> "Global symbols in macros don't work in gpasm?" thread), I had to use MPASM
> last time. However the debbugging facilities of MPLAB simulator are very
> poor, and I really had to do the job in GPSIM (USART & SPI simulation).
> MPASM (DOS version) runs smoothly under DOSEMU in Linux, so there is no
> problem with using MPASM & GPSIM together, however one problem exists:
> GPSIM does not accept the MPASM generated "cod" files. As I've found in the
> GPSIM's documentation the reason is the inclusion of OS dependent filenames
> in the cod file. I've checked it and this is what I found:
>
> To make the MPASM generated cod files you need:
> 1. Change the processor name to one accepted by GPSIM
>    (in my case I had to change "16F877" to "16f877")
> 2. Change all the filenames from the DOS versions into their UNIX
>    equivalents.
>    Eg. I have my sources in "~/dos/pic2" directory which is "F:\PIC2" under
>    DOSEMU.
>    If my source is "F:\PIC2\PICTEST1.ASM" and it uses the
>    include file "F:\PIC2\P16F877.INC", then I change this strings
>    to "pictest1.asm" and "p16f877.inc" (however I have to start the gpsim
>    in the "~/dos/pic2" directory.

What a coincidence! In the GPL spirit of things, Daniel Christian needed the
same feature (supporting MPLAB generated .cod files in gpsim), so he sent a
patch that supposedly does it for him. I haven't personally tested it since I
don't have any MPLAB formatted .cod files lying around on /dev/sda. But I've
checked his changes into CVS and could make a tar ball if you want.

Scott