gnupic: SDCC > M$loth-format > X-Mailer: Apple Mail

Subject: Re: SDCC > M$loth-format > X-Mailer: Apple Mail
From: ####@####.####
Date: 2 Jan 2005 11:15:57 +0000

 Greg Hill wrote:
> Special character encoding or escaping in URLs uses a % followed by two
> hex digits, rather than =. I think the original poster was asking about
> the encodings he sometimes sees in the message body of some emails,
> though, not about URLs.

Correct.

> I've also often wondered what prompts some software in the
> email chain to perform that encoding.

I'm guessing that the M$ client does it.
An aquaintance who admits that Outlook is crap and claims to
not use it, still sends me such garbage via his Win2000.

>The most extreme case I've ever seen was when I
> received an email from a friend who was then in Armenia. The message was
> written in Outlook (and likely originated through a Microsoft MTA), and
> the first part was written in English while the latter part was written in
> Armenian. The English part came through just fine (through Exim on
> Solaris, then read in pine) but the Armenian part was completely escaped.
> I suppose this was because she switched her keyboard to a non-English
> keymap, and one of the software tools just decided that it should escape
> everything. Maybe that was so that I wouldn't receive the bits and try to
> view them directly as the standard Arabic letters we use in English
> (because all I'd get is random meaningless gibberish with that
> interpretation of the bits). I never did persue it any more to figure out
> what prompted the conversion.

We accept that once you go outside ASCII you have these 'problems'.
And if you use a 'script' that writes from bottom to top that top-posting
is appropriate.  What I can't find out is what Micro$loth users see if
I post them a "=3D".

== Chris Glur.